Redelegation

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 30 08:48:25 UTC 2000

    Emad> I have a customer whose domain is registered as ajib.com
    Emad> . Now he is hosted with me and he is getting his ip
    Emad> addresses out of our blocks, my domain is a .com.jo , he
    Emad> wants to keep his original domain name and also mail
    Emad> addresses. Any idea how to go about this

You've not explained the problem. What is changing? There's no reason
why the ajib.com zone can't contain A records or MX records which
belong to some other domain like .com.jo. For instance there's no DNS
or mail protocol requirement that mail for ajib.com must be delivered
to a host or IP address in the ajib.com domain. Whatever resource
records - A, MX, etc - your customer puts in his domain (ajib.com) is
up to him. He can put anything he likes there without reference to
anything or anyone else. If he enters nonsense data like telling the
world to deliver mail to a non-existent server, that's his problem and
he has to live with the consequences. Garbage in, garbage out and all
that.

If your customer's renumbering or renaming his mail server, he has to
co-ordinate the changes to the ajib.com zone to make that happen. The
same goes for anything else that has to be changed in the ajib.com
zone. Reverse lookups - mapping IP addresses to names - are a little
trickier, but the same principle applies. The owner of the reverse
zone for the IP addresses co-ordinates the changes. There might be two
reverse zone owners: one for the old addresses and another for the new
one. So your customer might need to get both of them to synchronise
their updates to their reverse zone files and name servers.

If your customer has only been allocated a small number of IP
addresses, RFC2317-style delegation of the reverse zone space can be
used to allow him to manage his reverse DNS entries.