MX recond question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 31 02:50:52 UTC 2000

You could put in a second MX record for the new machine now and mail
will be delivered to the new machine as a "secondary" as soon as you
take the other one off-line forever.  Then you could update your zone to
remove the old record ...

Of course, if the new server isn't ready to go yet, then this is a
not-so-good idea.

In that case (or if you're really moving the existing server to a new
address), just lower the TTL ahead of time to something reasonable and
then make your changes, just like if you were moving any other server.

The chance of you losing any mail is slight, as most MTA's will retry at
least for a couple of days unless the admin has shortened the defaults.
At worst your mail would get delayed, not lost.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --