BIND Bug

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Thu Aug 31 08:13:06 UTC 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 05:28:40PM +1100, Loucks, Guy wrote:
> sci                     30M IN CNAME    hadsy8.isd
>
> tafensw.edu.au.db:sci                   IN      CNAME
> hadsy7.isd.tafensw.edu.au.
> tafensw.edu.au.db:sci                   IN      CNAME
> hadsy8.isd.tafensw.edu.au.

This is seriously confusing. I'm guessing the second block of text is
the zone file, grep'd for "sci" too?

Anyway, multiple CNAMEs for the same record aren't valid. A record have
two /canonical/ names is a contradiction in terms.
[ There is a multiple-cnames option you can specify in your named.conf,
  but don't use it ]

> Before we scream down an upgrade to 8.2.2PL5, does anyone know if this is a
> known defect in 8.1.2?

Do it anyway, right now. There are known, serious security problems with
8.1.2. See http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375