Newbie question on DNS

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 31 16:20:20 UTC 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 10:35:11AM -0500, Guillermo Villasana Cardoza wrote:
> Hello everyone... I need to know how important is to have DNS
> resolution
> for every single computer I have workstations and servers
> Thanks
> Guillermo Villasana
>
> Guillermo Villasana Cardoza wrote:
> >
> > I know that all servers that you want to have some sort of service
> > should have its DNS entry, but should all workstations have an entry in
> > the DNS?? if soy why?
> > Thanks
> > Guillermo Villasana

It depends on what you are doing.

If you are doing any kind of logging, it helps to be able to point to
an entry and say, "Jose's workstation has been busy today, and he was
out sick.  Hmmm!", rather than having to go manually look up what the
IP address 10.1.2.3 means [oops, was that .2.3 or .3.2?  the
possibilities for mistakes are endless].

If your workstations have direct access to Internet sites, there are
Web and FTP sites - among others - that will refuse to deal with any
systems that do not have proper DNS.

If you ever want to directly address any of the workstations, then it
helps to remember what its name is, rather than its IP address.

We try to keep all devices and virtual devices in our DNS, with the
occasional rare exception - such as security devices for intrusion
detection and the like.  ;-)  [Some of these don't have IP addresses
per se, anyway.]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B