DK: reverse DNS problems

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 25 23:00:15 UTC 2000

dwaynekuan at my-deja.com wrote:

> hi,
>
>  I'm creating reverse (PTR) entries for my DNS but i can't seem to get
>  it to work.
>
>  i'm using Red Hat Linux.
>
>  /etc/named.boot:
>
> directory                                        /etc/named
>  cache           .                                root.cache
>  primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa             local
>  primary         inside.weddingchannel.com        inside
>  primary         1.168.192.in-addr.arpa          f192.168.1
>
>  now if i wanted to create reverse DNS entries for a machine on another
>  domain (which i own), say 216.32.86.250, how would i go about it?
>
>  do i have to add a primary entry with 86.32.216.in-addr.arpa
>  in /etc/named.boot?

Yes, assuming that you own the entire /24 (aka "C-class") address range
and your provider is willing to delegate the zone to your servers. If your
range is /25 or smaller, you'll have to either get your provider to
delegate each address to you as a separate zone, or to add aliases to
their 86.32.216.in-addr.arpa zone for all of the addresses in the range,
pointing to PTR's in a zone your control (see RFC 2317 for details on this
last option).