Forward Zone Question

Vu Pham ( Sivell ) vu at sivell.com
Wed Aug 2 17:55:45 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Colterman" <mcolterm at nortelnetworks.com>
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
To: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 12:27 PM
Subject: Forward Zone Question

> I am relatively new to BIND.  My question is in regards to forward zones.
>
> What happens when you don't specify an IP in the forwarders section.
>
> ie.

> type forward;
> forward only;
> forwarders { ; };
>
> What would the purpose of this be, what would be gained by doing this? Is
> this an error?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

IMO, if you don't specify forwarders, your dns server will send queries to
root servers, specifying by hint file, if they don't have the answers in
cache.

You can find more info  in options.html in the bind doc package.
Forwarding
The forwarding facility can be used to create a large site-wide cache on a
few servers, reducing traffic over links to external nameservers. It can
also be used to allow queries by servers that do not have direct access to
the Internet, but wish to look up exterior names anyway. Forwarding occurs
only on those queries for which the server is not authoritative and does not
have the answer in its cache.

forward
This option is only meaningful if the forwarders list is not empty. A value
of first, the default, causes the server to query the forwarders first, and
if that doesn't answer the question the server will then look for the answer
itself. If only is specified, the server will only query the forwarders.
forwarders
Specifies the IP addresses to be used for forwarding. The default is the
empty list (no forwarding).
Forwarding can also be configured on a per-zone basis, allowing for the
global forwarding options to be overridden in a variety of ways. You can set
particular zones to use different forwarders, or have different forward
only/first behavior, or to not forward at all. See the zone statement for
more information.