WHY?!? Why do I get "Connection refused"??

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 2 17:48:50 UTC 2000

    Patrick> What cause the following message??
    Patrick> Jul 31 11:14:23 linux named[55]: recvfrom: Connection refused

Consult your local documentation for the recvfrom() system call. This
should explain why the call fails ECONNREFUSED "Connection refused".

    Patrick> While I'm at it, what defines a "brain damage" packet?  I
    Patrick> am seeing more and more of these in "Malformed responses".

This should be obvious. Your name server is being sent mangled
answers. In other words, the packets don't conform to the wire format
defined in RFC1035. This either means the sending system has a very
badly broken name server or else something is corrupting the packets
on their way between the sending and receiving name servers.