unable to resolve just one zone

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 2 18:07:44 UTC 2000

    Simon> Hello, I am having a real problem with just one name and I
    Simon> am at the end of my tether trying to spot what the problem
    Simon> is. The name is: www.anglofrance.com

Your zone file looks OK-ish, though the SOA record is missing its
first field, the owner-name. This would be "anglofrance.com.". However
you get away with omitting it because your name server will use the
current origin when the owner-name filed is missing. Luckily for you,
the current origin is is inherited from the zone{} statement which
just happens to be anglofrance.com.

The problem appears to be that you've set up your name server to
answer for the anglofrance.com but haven't registered the domain name!
A lookup to the com name servers tell me there's no such domain as
anglofrance.com, but if I query ns.daelnet.net, it returns an
authoritative answer for www.anglofrance.com. So, you'd better get a
.com registrar to enter that name in the .com zone before someone else
does it.