ANY records?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 2 23:19:57 UTC 2000

    Dan> Can someone please point me to some information about the
    Dan> correct handling of queries of ANY records? I can't find any
    Dan> information in the RFCs. I am looking for TYPE=ANY, not
    Dan> CLASS=ANY (RFC1034/35) and for queries, not updates
    Dan> (RFC2136).

There are no ANY resource records. There is a wildcard query type.
See Section 3.2.3 of RFC1035 and Section 3.7.1 of RFC1034. This query
type is commonly referred to as ANY: for example as an argument to
dig. When a query is made for some name and class and the qtype field
is 255 (BIND #defines this as T_ANY or ns_t_any), the name server is
supposed to return an answer of all the record types it has for that
name and class.