error compile on Sco 5.05

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 3 17:58:20 UTC 2000

    Vu> I compiled & installed bind8.2.2 on Linux successfully. Now I
    Vu> try to do on Sco 5.05, but I got a lot of errors while 'make
    Vu> all', such as:

    Vu> cc: unrecognized option `-K'
    Vu> cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
    Vu> cc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': no such file or directory ...
    Vu> I don't have the cc, but I installed gcc as the INSTALLATION says.

The "no such file or directory" message indicates you have a very sick
compiler. The cc front-end can't execute the actual compiler "cc1"
because it's missing or doesn't exist in the place cc expects to find
it.

You say you've installed gcc, but the errors above suggest the problem
is with cc, which would be the vendor's C compiler. Could it be you've
set up the BIND Makefiles to use SCO's missing/broken compiler instead
of gcc? Take a look at the installation instructions. I quote from
src/INSTALL:

	Operating System Notes

		SCO 5.0.x

                To build using gcc, copy "port/sco50/Makefile.set.gcc" to
                "port/sco50/Makefile.set".  To go back to using SCO's
                compilers, copy "port/sco50/Makefile.set.sco" to
                "port/sco50/Makefile.set".

perhaps you could try that before beginning to compile with gcc on a
SCO box? ie Before you do "make links" and all that....