Question about DNS SRV records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 3 22:45:47 UTC 2000

Brian Stucker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick question (and probably a dumb one at that)... I'm trying to test
> some code that handles SRV records, and I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a public DNS server that has SRV records in it
> that could serve as a "sanity" test for debugging code?

Not offhand, no. Why don't you just throw some test SRV records into one of
your own zones?

> 2. Does your primary DNS server need to support SRV records, or only the
> DNS server that your query (hopefully) gets delegated to?

I'm not sure how you are using the term "primary" here. If you want an
SRV record in a zone, then the master has to be SRV aware. If you want zone
transfers to work, then the slaves need to be SRV-aware as well. I don't
think intermediate caching servers necessarily need to be SRV-aware, since
they can just pass the answers "as is" from the authoritative servers.

Bear in mind, though, that BIND has had SRV support for years, so it or
anything based on it, will have no problems with SRV records. Microsoft's
DNS also understands SRV records, presumably, since Microsoft products are
the biggest users of SRV records...

> 3. Does anyone know of a DNS server package for Windows NT or Linux that
> supports SRV records that's not too difficult to set up?

This is a BIND list so, uh, I'll recommend BIND. As for "not too difficult
to set up", how difficult is too difficult? To just test SRV records, you
could have one test master zone and a hints file. A very simple
configuration.

(By the way, doesn't Nortel sell a BIND-based DNS product that runs on NT?
Do they keep their internal copies somewhere in a locked room?)