Class-C reverse delegation

Riaquint riaquint at optonline.net
Sat Aug 26 19:09:02 UTC 2000

I have a full Class-C given to me, 256 (minus 3) IP's.  I need reverse
authority over them and the only way that my ISP knows how to do it is by
setting up periodic zone transfers.  As most of you know, this is inefficant
and only occurs twice a day, which leads to problems when updating.  They
tried to add this line to the zone file: "*    ns    my.ip" but it didnt
work.  I know this is probably documented somewhere but my ISP claims that
they just dont know any other way than periodic zone transfer. I asked them
if they could change the nameservers associated with my Class-C in
ARIN.net's database, but they wouldnt.  So what would the ISP need to do to
give me authority?  Is a matter of the named.conf file or is it defined in
the zone file? Any help is appreciated, thanks.