when Non-authoritative , or Authoritative.?

Vu Pham ( Sivell ) vu at sivell.com
Tue Aug 8 09:18:08 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick" <patai.sangbutsarakum at cwasia.net>
To: <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 2:54 AM
Subject: when Non-authoritative , or Authoritative.?

> Hi DNS's folks
>
>         I 'm new bies in run DNS. why some time when I used nslookup -->
set type=ns --> domain.co.th
> I found this answer.
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> domain.co.th   nameserver = ns2.domain.co.th
> domain.co.th   nameserver = ns.domain.co.th
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> domain.co.th  internet address = 203.xxx.yyy.zzz
> domain.co.th   internet address = 203.xxx.yyy.zzz
>
> But if I change quried server to be other and do the same thing again for
same place. I just found.

> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> domain.co.th   nameserver = ns2.domain.co.th
> domain.co.th   nameserver = ns.domain.co.th
> domain.co.th  internet address = 203.xxx.yyy.zzz
> domain.co.th   internet address = 203.xxx.yyy.zzz
>
> why someone suggest me about this appear? is it some incorrect in my
DNS.??

> Thanks in advance.
> Patrick.

This is explained in the DNS and Bind book. The data the name server returns
to nslookup may be already in  name server's cache, and if so, nslookup will
say 'non-authoritative answer'. In the otherwise, name server must ask for
the data from authoritative servers, then the answer is 'authoritative'.

Vu Pham