Can bind 8 serve separate zone files by request's ip address?

Corin Royal Drummond corin at iww.org
Tue Aug 8 23:09:47 UTC 2000

Hi Fellow BIND Users:

I'm trying to configure bind 8 for use on the gateway machine between a
small privately address intranet, and the internet.  I would like to
setup bind so that it responds to requests coming from the private
intranet (using 192.168.0.0 addresses) with zone files containing our
internal hosts.  And for external requests coming from the internet, it
responds with a sanitized set of zone files listing just hosts with
publicly available services.

I know I could setup two instances of named with two sets of config
files each listening on different IP's using the "listen-on" option.
But is there a way to do this with one running daemon?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Corin Royal Drummond
System Administrator
Savage Beast Technology