Quick question about Host records

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Aug 8 23:44:51 UTC 2000

I'm running ns1.hank.org and ns2.hank.org.

I want to register a new domain name, example.com, and will be using the
ns1.hank.org and ns2.hank.org machines to serve the zone.

Is there any reason I can't specify ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com as
example.com's name servers and just have ns1.example.com and ns1.hank.org
have the same IP number?  In other words, any reason (in NSI terms) that
two different "host records" can't have the same IP number?

The only issue is that a reverse lookup will only show the PTR name I pick,
but I don't care about that.

In other words, example.com will be virtual hosted on the same machine as
hank.org, yet I'd like "dig example.com ns" to return ns1.example.com and
ns2.example.com instead of ns1.hank.org and ns2.hank.org.

I don't see any problems, but I'm asking just in case.

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at hank.org