DNS for partial subnet from ISP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 9 21:51:31 UTC 2000

Matt Orr wrote:

> I have a block of 16 ips from and ISP (xxx.xxx.xxx.175 xxx.xxx.xxx.190 with mask of 255.255.255.240)  The are currently doing no DNS for them.  Do I have to have them delegate to me or can I bring up my own primary for that network?

You could have them delegate each address as a separate zone, sure. But then you'd have to have 16 different master zone definitions in your named.conf and maintain 16 different zonefiles. And if you ever add/rename/delete nameservers,
your ISP will have to change 16 different records in their zone.

Alternatively, you could use a method similar to what's described in RFC 2317, where the parent zone (i.e. the C-class in-addr.arpa zone) just contains aliases to some PTRs in a zone that you control. Read the RFC loosely though: the
zone containing the alias targets, i.e. the PTR records, can be *any* zone you control; it doesn't have to be a descendant of the C-class in-addr.arpa zone, or in fact any descendant of in-addr.arpa at all. It could be one of your
forward zones or a descendant thereof.