Style - was: Quick question about Host records

Stefan Probst stefan.probst at opticom.v-nam.net
Thu Aug 10 03:12:14 UTC 2000

At 14:51 09.08.00 GMT, somebody wrote:
-------------------------

> WhY --
>
>    I'm assuming from your last post's concerning issue's of
"Re-Inventing
> the Wheel" that your looking to do things a little different. OR Your
asking
> these lame questions in an effort to understand the workings of the
> internet.

Understanding of the Net: Yes.
But there are other reasons:
If the restriction is only NSI...
... then it might work for other TLDs (yes, the Net consits not only of
the
    few NSI ruled gTLDs)
... then it might work for SLDs (i.e. one hierarchy level lower).

    <snip>

>     In either case, their isn't much your going to be able to do with
your 1
> IP DSL line, so I would ask my ISP for 8 more, set up all the services
you
> want, & stop asking Lame questions.

Believe it or not, but there are other countries in the world than the US.
And - since the US has occupied large IP address blocks - IP addresses are
very scarce and therefore expensive in other countries.

> Or, You could go to school like the rest of us did, and do it the right
way

I, e.g., finished my "school" many years ago, when there was no Net (to be
precise it was in its infancy in some labs). I am living now in a country
(Vietnam) where I can't just go to the next bookstore or library to get a
copy of "DNS and Bind". Am I allowed to use the Net to get updated? In
this case: May I ask some questions in this list?

IT staff in developing countries have often no other choice than the Net
to get updated. Of course there will be also newbie questions - or
questions which seem strange in your environment. Answers like above -
combined with a permanent problem with the foreign language - deter such
people to dare to ask anything ... and by this never reach the necessary
"geek level".

In the interest of all Net users in developing countries, I urge you to
keep a style in this list which makes it as easy as possible for IT staff
in those countries to speak up and ask. They have to feel welcome here.
Most of them have already enough trouble with the language alone....

Let me take the opportunity to thank those tireless guys here, who take
their precious time to answer also "stupid" questions. Besides the
original poster, there are many lurkers out there who learn from it.

My 300 VND (equivalent 0.02 US$) to this.

Cheers,
Stefan