Bind 4 Problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Aug 11 11:09:07 UTC 2000

    Fabiola> We have a nameserver (DEC alpha OSF1 V4.0 - single
    Fabiola> processor - 2 Gb of Swap - 1 Gb Memory) that has over
    Fabiola> 3000 domains. named keeps dying sporadically and
    Fabiola> occasionally core dumps. We have not been able to find
    Fabiola> the root cause, but one of our concerns is that version
    Fabiola> 4.9.x may not be able to handle that amount of domains or
    Fabiola> the large amount of queries. Are there any known issues
    Fabiola> with a large number of domains in Bind 4?

BIND4.9 is very dead. It's been dead for years. You should upgrade.
The current version of BIND is 8.2.2P5. 8.2.3 is due out soon as is
BIND9, which is a complete rewrite of the name server and has a new
internals architecture. See http://www.isc.org.

As for your name server dying, you should take that up with the OS
vendor. Presumably you have a support contract with them and they
support the software they shipped? Have you sent them the core dump?
It's unlikely that the number of domains or query rate will cause a
core dump. From memory, I believe BIND4.9 allows up to 64K zones. And
in the old days when root servers ran BIND4.9, they'd be getting many
hundreds of queries per second. They worked fine. Maybe you're running
old code that has a memory leak or calls some library function that
has a memory leak? Perhaps the name server is trying to use more VM
than the operating system allows? There should be something in the
logs which indicates why your name server is dumping core.