dns help

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 11 23:50:40 UTC 2000

Thotapalli, Ravi (Metamor) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dsl connection at home and its hooked to my linux box. My Isp has
> given me two Static IP add and I have a domain registered. Inorder to host
> DNS (primary) server do I have to get IP addresses from NIC again ? (this is
> for my personal use only)

I'm not sure what you mean by "get IP addresses from NIC". You already have
addresses from your ISP, and domain registrars give out names rather than
addresses. One thing you will need to do, though, is change your domain record
with the domain registrar to reflect your new server(s).

> also is it okay if I install DNS server and my
> firewall on the same server along with my web contents.

Nameservers co-exist with both of those. Whether it's "okay" or not, e.g.
secure, depends on how carefully you configure and maintain those different
services.