Bad label compression

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Mon Aug 14 12:08:29 UTC 2000

Hi,

[ Excuse the long URL ]
http://www.securityfocus.com/frames/?content=/templates/archive.pike%3Flist%3D1%26date%3D1999-05-28%26msg%3DPine.LNX.4.05.9905301511370.9647-101000%40nb.in-berlin.de

Is anyone aware of an innocent way for this to happen? I ask as we're
seeing this from an ISPs nameservers which is knocking perl's Net::DNS
for six (dn_expand goes into an infinite loop and gobbles up as much
memory as it can, then dies) and tcpdump doesn't like it either.

Before I mail then and scream holy murder, I'd like to figure out
whether they're stupid, evil or just misfortunate to be using bad DNS
server software. Has anybody any experience of this?

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375