ndc status

Morten Helgesen admin at nextframe.net
Mon Aug 14 12:14:14 UTC 2000

janl at linpro.no wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me what the "server is DONE priming" message means?  I
> can't seem to find that documented anywhere on the web, news or in the
> Book.  I've tried to dig in the source code, but I'm not man enough to
> understand where the state that it bases the output on comes from :I
>
> It seems that it cannot mean that it is persuing the root servers from
> the hints file because that goes on for a little while after starting
> named, and the priming is done immediately after startup.  It could
> mean that it's done loading the hints file.  It could also mean that
> it's done loading all the zones.  But this is mere speculation.
>
> $ ndc status
> named 8.2.2-P5 Mon Feb 28 10:17:53 EST 2000  \
>       root at lookfar:/usr/src/bind-8.2.2_P5/src/bin/named
> number of zones allocated: 64
> debug level: 0
> xfers running: 0
> xfers deferred: 0
> soa queries in progress: 0
> query logging is OFF
> server is DONE priming
> server IS NOT loading its configuration
>
> Nicolai

After having a look at the ns_resp.c file, I think that the message "the
server is DONE priming" indicates that BIND has now "primed/triggered"
the cache. The cache is now ready for use - or something like that.

If this is not the right answer, I hope I might have given you a clue as
to where to look for the right answer.

-- Morten