An MX record loopback problem

Vitor Colaço vitor.colaco at esdata.pt
Mon Aug 14 14:37:02 UTC 2000

Rookie wrote:
>  It's very frustrated I just cannot find the answer of this problem.

dont despair, use the Force...:-)

>  My BIND server(dns.abc.idv.tw) is also the primary POP3 server on
> abc.idv.tw
>  So I set up the MX record as
>
>  abc.idv.tw.      IN      MX      0    dns.abc.idv.tw.
>
>  in order to cut down the E-mail address as ?????@abc.idv.tw but not
> ?????@dns.abc.idv.tw
>  but it will cause MX loopback problem.

I have some doubts interpreting this paragraph. However, try this:

$ORIGIN abc.idv.tw.

	IN	MX	0	dns.abc.idv.tw.

$ORIGIN dns.abc.idv.tw.

	IN	MX	0	dns.abc.idv.tw.

Hmmm...is dns.abc.idv.tw. an A or a CNAME?

>  It means BIND server cannot be the primary POP3 server on the same domain?
>  or is there any other ways to solve this problem?

no prob with...been there, done that!

--
Vitor Colaco		|	"Some marriages are made in heaven
Analista de Suporte	| 		-- but so are thunder and lightning."