DNS Answer Results From DIG

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 15 00:10:37 UTC 2000

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you want a name to resolve to
an address through a CNAME, then you need 2 things: 1) an A record
pointing to the address, and 2) a CNAME pointing to the name of the A
record. Do you have both of these things? If so, then you should see 2
records in the ANSWER: section of the dig output -- the CNAME and the
A record. For instance:

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> www.chrysler.com @204.189.94.70
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.chrysler.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.chrysler.com.       1D IN CNAME     lb01.is.chrysler.com.
lb01.is.chrysler.com.   1D IN A         208.154.80.170

(etc.)

Or have I misunderstood the question?

- Kevin