Sub Domain Resolving Problem.

Graham Paul Wooden graham at tridia.com
Tue Aug 15 14:48:39 UTC 2000

Hello All,

I have been pulling my hair out for the past week trying to figure this out.
I am some what familiar of how DNS/ BIND works, but I am at a total loss
here.

Here is what I want to happen:
I want a local subdomain server, ServerA, to host a zone "us.tridia.com",
which "us.tridia.com" is for private, internal machines. So, if
host1.us.trida.com queries for host2 in the same subdomain, it can happen.

If the query does not exist in the "us.tridia.com" zone, immediately go to
the second server, ServerB, which is in live IP space( the same sever which
has the "tridia.com" zone), and take it from there. I do not want ServerB to
know about hosts in ServerA, however I want ServerA to know about hosts in
ServerB and beyond.

I have setup a zone transfer to come from ServerB down into ServerA, for the
"tridia.com".
Everything is fine with that, I think. I can query "host1.tridia.com" and I
get immediate results.
However, if I use nslookup, and query "host1.us.tridia.com", I get a
non-existent host/domain.
As well, I get this for all domains. Like "www.yahoo.com" and
"www.redhat.com", it fails on them too.

ServerA does have resolve.conf to point to itself first, and has ServerB as
the second, but its like it doesn't want to pass the torch or something.

Here is the section out of my /etc/named.conf file:
-----
zone "us.tridia.com" in {
        type master;
        file "named.private-us.tridia";
};
zone "tridia.com" in {
        type slave;
        file "slave.corp.tridia";
        masters {208.178.113.252;};
};
-----

Here is a section out of the named.private-us.tridia.com:
-----
$INCLUDE /var/named/soa
$ORIGIN us.tridia.com

	                  IN      MX      10 tridhcp.us.tridia.com.
	                  IN      MX      20 trins1.tridia.com.
host1			      IN      A       192.168.13.1
host2			      IN      A       192.168.13.2
-----

Here is a section out of the reverse file:
-----
$INCLUDE /var/named/soa
$ORIGIN 13.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

1                       IN      PTR     host1.us.tridia.com.
2                       IN      PTR     host2.us.tridia.com.
-----

And lastly, the mentioned SOA file:
-----
@ IN SOA tridhcp.us.tridia.com.        support.tridia.com (
                                2000081502      ; Serial# - YYMMDDNN#
                                3600            ; Refresh
                                900             ; Retry
                                604800          ; Expire
                                86400 )         ; Minimum
; name servers
	             IN      NS      tridhcp.us.tridia.com.
                   IN      NS      trins1.tridia.com.
-----

I know there is a lot of information here.
If anyone can make sense of it, that would be awesome :)!

Thanks!

Graham P. Wooden
Tridia Corporation                         Web Services Dept.
678-269-1114                                graham at tridia.com
770-428-5009 (fax)
  [ PGP Key: http://graham.g-rock.net/grahamPGP.txt ]
Tridia intends to both meet and exceed your expectations for all of our
products and services.  Please let us know how we are doing by contacting
graham at tridia.com or ceo at tridia.com.  Thank you for your feedback!