Can't ping when dns is running

Kristina Stoeva kristina.stoeva at cesoft.com
Tue Aug 15 20:02:47 UTC 2000

Hi,=20
I did a fresh Redhat 6.2 'server' install today with bind-8.2.2_P5-9 . '=
named' is not running, it doesn't start by default. I can ping on IP =
address wherever I want.=20
Then I start '/etc/rc.d/init.d/named start' without any configuration =
files set up. The machine cannot find it's default route! I can't ping on =
IP anywhere. It finds the default route eventually after minutes of =
looking up.
Then I set up the configuration files for one domain, let's say cesoft.com.=
 Now I can ping on IP to any machine in cesoft.com. I still can't ping =
anywhere in the Internet, on IP of course.
I really hope someone comes up with a hint.
Kristina