Windows 2000 DNS (and a sore head from banging it on the wall)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 16 00:32:53 UTC 2000

Unfortunately, I don't know which of that Win2K goop is incriminating and which
isn't, so I can only speak in general terms.

I have fairly generic definitions for our Win2K test zones: the only thing
slightly out of the ordinary is the allow-update clause with IP addresses
specified (I use TSIG keys for all other Dynamic Updates on our network).

As for the zone files themselves, surprise, they're filled with Win2K/AD junk.
We've had instances where names got into the zones and the DC couldn't get them
back out again: in such cases, I've had to laboriously delete all of the rogue
names using nsupdate to restore things back to normal. If you have a large
accumulation of muck in the zone, then it might be simpler just to re-create
the zone and "promote" the DC all over again.

Another thing to consider: does Win2K's use of underscored names require any
special "check-names" setting?

- Kevin