Clean install of BIND8 and NT

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Wed Aug 16 19:28:15 UTC 2000

I am setting up NT4 as my master DNS and have the opportunity to do a
clean install of the OS. When going through the install process of
WinNT4, should I take the option to set the server up as a PRIMARY
DOMAIN CONTROLLER or as a STAND ALONE?
>Since I will be running a third party DNS software package (BIND8),
>I think I should do a STAND ALONE install. Is this correct?
>If so, how will this effect my Windows based clients?

BIND works in the standards-based tcp/ip networking domain, and MS DC
is stricttly in the proprietary MS Networking domain.  They don't
talk to each other or interact.

You're win clients talk tcp/ip to BIND and talk MS SMB to MS DC and
MS Networking functions.  again, totally unrelated.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5  installable binary for NT4
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways