clean install of BIND8 and NT

Stanley Liu stanley.liu at tmca.com.au
Thu Aug 17 01:10:21 UTC 2000

"R. Liandro" wrote:

> I am setting up NT4 as my master DNS and have the opportunity to do a clean install of the OS. When going through the install process of WinNT4, should I take the option to set the server up as a PRIMARY DOMAIN CONTROLLER or as a STAND ALONE?

There is no dependency between BIND8 and WinNT4.  Both configurations will work fine.

> Since I will be running a third party DNS software package (BIND8), I think I should do a STAND ALONE install. Is this correct?

The choice of PDC or Stand Alone will depend very much on your NT network.  If you already have an NT network operating, may be you should look at having a PDC and let the BIND8 box be a member server of your NT Domain.  If you do not have a NT
network, I would recommend to just install as a Stand Alone server.  Later on, if you do have a NT PDC set up somewhere, you can easily convert the BIND8 box be a member server then.

> If so, how will this effect my Windows based clients?

Absolutely no difference.

--
Stanley Liu
stanley.liu at tmca.com.au