[Q] Create/update zones by program/API ?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Aug 17 01:28:48 UTC 2000

>  1.   It is not currently possible to create or add a zone using Dynamic
> Update. This is because RFC 2136 explicitly forbids addition or deletion
> of SOA records. I don't really know why; Paul Vixie is being very
> tight-lipped about the rationale behind this restriction. So you'll still
> have to create the zones manually, but once they're created, you could use
> Dynamic Update for everything else.

	Because, in general, it is not a straight forward operation.
	A lot of policy also needs to be transmitted with creation
	message.  Adding records is the easy part as is defining
	who is allowed to perform zone creations on your server
	(more policy).

	* who can transfer
	* who can update
	* who can query
	* who are the masters (for slaves)

	All this out of band stuff needs to be encoded and transmitted
	in band.  This is why UPDATE currently precludes creation.
	Feel free to write a draft which addresses these issues.
	These issues we discussed at the time UPDATE was written
	and were put off for later discussions.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.