OT: Separate sub zone or two copies of the same zone

Stanley Liu stanley.liu at tmca.com.au
Thu Aug 17 07:56:23 UTC 2000

Just want some opinions from the group:  let say mydomain.com is a
domain we owned.  Internet DNS (say ns1) has only minimal information on
it - basically just MX records.  This domain is also used internally in
our Intranet and we have our own separate Intranet DNS (say ns2).  Some
of our Business Partners also have access to our Intranet and they are
configured as slave to ns2 for our zone over private network.
Everything works fine until we want to put some servers on the Internet
under the domain name partner.mydomain.com.  All hosts on this sub
domain will be accessible/resolvable to Internet and Intranet.  There
are two options we are considering:

1.  Separate sub zone - Create a sub zone partner.mydomain.com and host
it on ns1.  Let ns2 be slave to ns1 for this zone.  The upside is that
we have one copy of zone partner.mydomain.com to maintain.  The down
side is that all current business partners slave to ns2 for mydomain.com
will need to add another slave zone of partner.mydomaina.com.

2.  Two copies of the same zone - Maintain two different copies
(mydomain.com or partner.mydomain.com) on ns1 and ns2.  The upside is
that there will be no roll-out issue.  The down side is obviously to
have to maintain two copies of the same zone.

Which option is better?  Is there a third option?  Any comments would be
appreciated.

--
Stanley Liu
stanley.liu at tmca.com.au