reverse lookup delegation not working

Neal P npalmer at uwic.ac.uk
Thu Aug 17 11:02:26 UTC 2000

Hi

Hope you can help and this isnt too much of a mickey mouse question (!)

We have a DNS working fine one a Unix (SUN),  platform, one primary, one
secondary. We can nslookup forward's and back with no problems and I have
been adding records (in a monkey see monkey do manner) for a while now.
Forgive my explanations as I have inherited a setup which doesnt use naming
conventions as seen everywhere else!

Due to a recent Win2000 network upgrade, it has been decided to move all DNS
records to an internal W2K name server and use the existing UNIX setup as an
external name server (obviously removing the existing records after the copy
is done). I have set things up as far as I can see, correctly, but the
reverse lookup for the internal sub-domain isnt working. The servers are :-

External Primary nameserver - external.domain.ac.uk
Internal Primary nameserver - proxy.internal.domain.ac.uk

I have told the external/csu1 via the main hosts file (uwic.hosts) that
there is a subdomain and that proxy1.internal is the nameserver

 internal                  IN      NS      proxy.internal.domain.ac.uk.
 proxy.internal            IN      A       192.168.2.3

I have told /etc/named.boot that there is a reverse lookup file for this
domain

 primary         2.168.192.in-addr.arpa          internal.hosts.rev.2

and within that reverse lookup file I have added an NS record for the proxy1
nameserver for the internal.domain.ac.uk subdomain.

                                 IN      NS      internal.domain.ac.uk.
 3                               IN      NS
proxy1.internal.domain.ac.uk.

PROBLEM (!!) :-

When I nslookup say, anotherserver.internal.domain.ac.uk, I get the correct
response; its IP address :-

 > anotherserver.internal.domain.ac.uk
 Server:  external.domain.ac.uk
 Address:  193.10.10.10  (ficticious - paranoid!)

 Name:    anotherserver.internal.domain.ac.uk
 Address:  192.168.2.4

But, when I ask for the reverse, it doesnt work...

 > 192.168.2.4
 Server:  external.domain.ac.uk
 Address:  193.10.10.10

 *** external.domain.ac.uk can't find 192.168.2.4: Non-existent host/domain

Now, the proxy1.internal request and it's reverse lookup request work fine.
Presumably because the reverse is specifically mentioned in the reverse
lookup file (internal.hosts.rev.2), but as it is stated as an NS record, I
hoped that anything that my external server doesnt know will then refer to
the internal (proxy1.internal) via the NS record. Instead, it just says 'no,
sorry, dont know it'!!

I have looked at numerous configurations and I cant see what else I am
supposed to be doing. This is probably an obvious problem, but I cant see
it!!! Ask me a question on Heavy Rock music though, and I'll help you out!
:(

Thanks a great deal

Neal.