Subdomain variation ?

Randy Hislop rhislop at eba.ca
Thu Aug 17 22:16:03 UTC 2000

I have searched through the archives but find no scenario like mine, which I
believe should be rather simple (I think).

I am on a WAN and run BIND 8.1.2 on SunOS_4.1.4 on our "corporate" mail
server.   There is a Linux (acting as a mail server) box in the other city
on the WAN and does not do DNS.  All PCs in that city point to the corporate
server for primary DNS.  That city has its own class C and is visible on the
internet as is the corporate class C.

My problem is that I must do reverse DNS for that class C so I must create a
subdomain, yes?  It seems to me that all answers to other postings have
assumed that there is a name server in the other subdomains, I do not have
this.

What entries do I need to place in named.conf (if any) and what entries do I
need in the corporate zone file if we assume the class C on my primary is
192.135.2.0 and  the other is 199.188.2.0 and the corporate domain is
main.com and the other is sub.main.com?

Randy