DNS forwarders

Company, Paul J. paul.company at unisys.com
Fri Aug 18 07:51:10 UTC 2000

I searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to my problem.

I'm running BIND 8.2.1

I want to delegate part of a class C address space (zone) to another
authoritative server under the same domain (plpt.com).
I don't want to subdomain. I just want all querys for a Class C address to
be forwarded to the second master server after
the first master server has a crack at it.

I don't want to change all the clients (mostly NT) DNS Search Orders (aka.,
/etc/resolv.conf on UNIX),
I'd like to use forwarders, but from what I've read:
    "Forwarding occurs only on those queries for which the server
     is not authoritative and does not have the answer in its cache."

Well, I know how to flush the cache (ndc restart), but I am authoritative
for the domain, so
forwarders doesn't work.

Is there a simple solution for what I want to do?

EXAMPLE:

HOST A: master for plpt.com (authoritative for this zone)
              zone file contains hosta1 IN A 192.168.0.1, hosta2 IN A
192.168.0.2

HOST B: master for plpt.com (authoritative for this zone)
              zone file contains hostb3 IN A 192.168.0.3, hostb4 192.168.0.4

HOST C: Regular client, with DNS search (/etc/resolv.conf) pointing to HOST
A.

If I nslookup hostb3 from HOST C, I want HOST A to forward this to HOST B
and get an answer.

Is this possible?

thanks, pjc