Only one PTR per IP

Tilman Schmidt Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de
Fri Aug 18 08:38:12 UTC 2000

At 00:24 18.08.00 +0000, Don Stokes wrote:
> <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote:
>>       My advise is to pick one of the names of a machines and put
>>       it in the reverse mapping and to forget about the other names.
>
>I'd go further, and point out that the reverse map is used primarily
>for logging traffic from the IP address concerned, so the reverse map
>should reflect that.

Not really. My main concern with the reverse map is getting the mail
out, actually. There are lots of mailservers out there with rather
strict requirements about how someone wanting to deliver mail to
them should be listed in the DNS, including the reverse map having
to match precisely the HELO name.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman at schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)