DNS Server Relocation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 18 23:58:17 UTC 2000

Depends on how much risk you can tolerate and how much time/effort/money you
want to invest in reducing that risk. The absolute *safest* way is to
un-delegate all of your domains off of your current machines and onto other
machines which aren't going to be changing addresses, wait for that information
to propagate, move your servers, then re-delegate the domains to them at their
new location. But this is a lot of work. A more risky approach is to move one
server at a time, just changing the A records for each move and allowing enough
time betwen moves for the new address information to propagate. But while one
of the servers is in transit, you have a single point of failure; not only
that, but the other server gets twice its normal query load, which probably
*increases* the chance of a failure. A "middle ground" would be to just
"borrow" some other non-moving machine to be a nameserver while you're moving
the others one at a time.

Just be aware that the registrars often take a while to process changes, and
even after they are changed on the TLD servers, there might be a period of time
afterwards that the old data will be cached -- although you can control the
caching somewhat by reducing TTLs on the records that are going to change (at
the expense of increasing your query traffic).

- Kevin