Registrars and name servers

Markus Stumpf maex-bind-users at Space.Net
Mon Aug 21 07:08:36 UTC 2000

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 02:16:44PM +0800, Thomas Duterme wrote:
> I made two nameservers for the domain:
> beast.madeforchina.com and grendel.madeforchina.com.  My domain now only
> has one name server acting as authoritative: grendel.madeforchina.com.
> When I first defined these two name servers @ register.com, they required
> me to give an IP address for each name.

This is needed for so called GLUE records.
As the DNS servers for the domain are inside the domain, they have to be
"glued" into the parent domain (in this case .com), as there would be
nobody that can be asked for the IP address of those DNS servers, but
the DNS servers themselves. But to ask them the address has to be known.

You don't need glue records if there is no server within the domain.
If you have the domain
    example.com
and the DNS servers are
    ns1.example.NET
    ns2.example.NET
then there is no need for glue records for example.com (but of course
for example.net within the .net domain).

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sig at Space.Net | up screaming and you