Oggetto: Re: Reverse delegation on bind 8.2.2

sfranchini at cdmtc.it sfranchini at cdmtc.it
Mon Aug 21 07:18:51 UTC 2000

Hi,
 I put this on my named.conf file :

zone "192/192.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "x.y.z";
};

And the following line on my "x.y.z" file :

221  IN   PTR  pc.domain.com.

but when I isssue

nslookup x.y.z.221 I got the following error :

**** ns.domain.com can't find x.y.z.221: Non-existent host/domain

So what's wrong ? When I reload the named I don't get any error message in my
/var/log/messages ... the zone is loaded correctly :
master zone "192/192.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa" (IN) loaded

Any help , please ?
Regards.

Stefano.

Per:  comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
cc:    (ccr: Stefano Franchini/CDM Tecnoconsulting)

sfranchini at cdmtc.it wrote:

> Hello to all,
>          our ISP gave us the following range x.y.z.192/192 and we need to
>          set up reverse mapping. I did it with BIND 4.x just putting the
>          following
>          statement in my named.boot file
>
>          primary 192/192.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa file.db.rev
>
>          But now we have moved to BIND 8.2.2 and I don't know how to do the
>          same !!!! Can anyone help me ???

No problem Stephano ;-)

just put something like this in your named.conf file:

zone "192/192.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "file.db.rev";
     }

You should consider to have a look the online BIND 8 documentation
available at ISC, http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/index.html

Ciao.