subdomain question

Tony OGER tony.oger at free.fr
Tue Aug 22 09:07:05 UTC 2000

Hi,

I would like to set up a subdomain for my principal nameserver.
My principal domain name is ib.e-laser.fr and is running on 192.168.1.201
(pluton).

My subdomain is run.ib.e-laser.fr and has a primary and secondary namservers
running on 192.168.1.203 (orion) & 192.168.1.202 (mars)

those 2 domains runs without problems but are independant for this moment (i set
in the primary and secondary sub domain nameserver, the principal nameserver as
forwarder).
I would like the principal nameserver able to see and resolve hosts defined in
the subdomain nameserver (but by delegating request to the subdomain).

here is my conf files on pluton nameserver:
named.soa:
@               IN SOA  pluton.ib.e-laser.fr.   postmaster.ib.e-laser.fr. (
                        2000070106      ; Serial
                        500     ; Refresh
                        3600    ; Retry
                        3600000 ; Expire
                        172800 )        ; Minimum
                IN NS   pluton.ib.e-laser.fr.
run             IN NS   orion.run.ib.e-laser.fr.
run             IN NS   mars.run.ib.e-laser.fr.

orion.run               IN A 192.168.1.203
mars.run                IN A 192.168.1.202

Is it the only conf file to update to make subdomain working ?

When i try on pluton to resolve hosts in ib.e-laser.fr it works (it works too
when i try on a subdomain 's host to resolv a hosts in the subdomain)
but when i try to resolv (venus for example which is defined in the subdomain)
from a host like pluton which is in my principal domain , it doesn't works..)

root at pluton../ib.e-laser.fr$ nslookup
Default Server:  pluton.ib.e-laser.fr
Address:  192.168.1.201

> orion
Server:  pluton.ib.e-laser.fr
Address:  192.168.1.201

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    orion.run.ib.e-laser.fr
Address:  192.168.1.203

> venus
Server:  pluton.ib.e-laser.fr
Address:  192.168.1.201

*** pluton.ib.e-laser.fr can't find venus: Non-existent host/domain
> venus.run.ib.e-laser.fr
Server:  pluton.ib.e-laser.fr
Address:  192.168.1.201

*** pluton.ib.e-laser.fr can't find venus.run.ib.e-laser.fr: Non-existent
host/domain

Do i forget something ? is there some information to add in the
168.192.named.soa conf file ?

I run named on linux 2.2.14.
Thanks for your help.

Tony OGER