DNS on NT vs. DNS on Linux

Prashant Ranade pranade at gigabitwireless.com
Mon Aug 28 18:55:10 UTC 2000

I have two primary nameservers
1. on Nt 4.0
2. on RH 6.2 using bind 8.2.2 p5

5 days back I was running both these nameservers very well with being
both primary for our domain and forwarding entries to the ISPs
nameserver for the internet resolution.
everything was working fine when I set it up. today morr when I checked
the NT domain nameserver is working just fine but the Linux nameserver
is not answering any queries except the local queries for mydomain. it's
cache got cleared off and if I tried to do a query it just times out.
this is what I get when I say nslookup for "www.hotmail.com." from the
Linux box...
[root at ADMINSERVER /etc]# nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set debug
> www.hotmail.com.
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1
> www.hotmail.com.
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, www.hotmail.com, IN, A)
timeout
timeout
*** localhost can't find www.hotmail.com.: No response from server

the resolve.conf  is as follows :
search mydomain.com mysybdomain.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

and the /etc/named.conf is having a forwarders option as follows :
options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders{ 209.10.34.55; 209.10.34.23; };
        query-source address * port 53;
};
turnning the query-source port dosn't make any change.

this nameserver is sitting inside the private network, the cisco
internet router is configured via ACLs to send all tcp and udp packets
through, from and for this host.

can somebody help getting this nameserver back to working.

TIA
Prashant