netstat

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 1 20:57:22 UTC 2000

mUnK Man wrote:

> Hello!
> when named is running the netstat command is really slow it takes about 1 min to see the info.
> but when I'm not running named the netstat command takes about 3seconds!
> What is the problem?

netstat is trying to do reverse lookups of all of the addresses it finds, so that it can display
them as names instead of raw addresses. If your nameserver is having problems doing those reverse
resolutions, then that would explain the slowness. You can turn off this feature of netstat with
the -n option, but really you should get to the root cause of the problem and fix it, because
netstat isn't the only thing which is likely to be affected by this.

If you do a netstat -n and then try to do reverse lookups of some of the addresses in that
output, maybe you can put your finger on which reverse resolutions are slow.