please help a DNS novice

Sivakumar Thiyagarajan sivakumar_id at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 01:35:54 UTC 2000

Hi gurus,

I am confused about the domain concepts in private isolated networks.heres my setup :

I have two networks -
NET-A with machines A1, A2, A3 ... and another network
NET-B with machines B1, B2, B3 ... and a gateway "GATE"
connecting these two.

I want to run a primary DNS on "GATE" so that NET-B and NET-A can access each other for ftp telnet and all that stuff. Both the networks are isolated i.e. not connected to the internet.

Q1 what should the domain fields be for the named.conf file?
can it be anything? i.e. can I name the domain as "DOM"
and declare my "NS" as "GATE.DOM." ?

Q2 In future if NET-B gets connected to the internet then
how will that affect my setup?

Q3 Can someone please post a rough reverse-map file for NET-A?

any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance

Sivakumar

-believe me I did go through the archives ...