nslookup ls

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Tue Dec 5 09:12:25 UTC 2000

>  I am running a primary server "ns1.y2knet.net"
> and secondary "ns2.y2knet.net". Befor, the secondary
> server was loading zone without any problem.
> Now it stopped. Even cannot ping.

Can't even ping? Chances are the network connection between
these two is down then, or someone put a firewall in between
or whatever.

>=20
> I ran nslookup on ns1.y2knet.net it worked fine, but
> when I run
>=20
> >ls ns1.y2knet.net

Is your domain called ns1.y2knet.net? not y2knet.net? One
specifies the domain, not the nameserver as argument to ls.

But: better use dig(1) as nslookup is a horrible tool.

>=20
> it gives me the error
>=20
> ***Can't list domain ns1.y2knet.net: Unspecified error.

Is the primary still authoritative for the zone in question?
Does it have any errors in its logs on reload?

If you posted any more details, it would help

A check from my side:
	$ dig @ns1.y2knet.net y2knet.net soa

	; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @ns1.y2knet.net y2knet.net soa=20
	; (1 server found)
	;; got answer:
	;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
	;; QUERY SECTION:
	;;      y2knet.net, type =3D SOA, class =3D IN

	;; ANSWER SECTION:
	y2knet.net.             1D IN SOA       ns1.y2knet.net. =
net.ns1.y2knet.net. (
                                        200012043       ; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        4H              ; retry
                                        4w2d            ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

	;; Total query time: 363 msec
	;; FROM: matjes to SERVER: ns1.y2knet.net  208.241.171.3
	;; WHEN: Tue Dec  5 17:10:56 2000
	;; MSG SIZE  sent: 28  rcvd: 72

indicates that your primary is not authoritative anymore for that zone.
Seems you have some syntax error in your zonefile. CHeck the logs !

>=20
> Any idea will be the great help.

Any details would.... (like real dig(1) output, logs, config files etc)