problem on a n NS delegation

Julien Mabillard jum at cw.span.ch
Wed Dec 6 07:52:06 UTC 2000

hello,
I have a problem with a zone delegation.
I have registered a second level domain as foo.net, and I would like to
create the zone bar.foo.net and delegate the zone to another name server.

Usuallly, I create the zone on my master (SOA RR), and I create two NS RR
that are the names of the name servers to which I want to delegate the zone:

$ORIGIN foo.net.
@ IN SOA my.master hostmaster.my.master ( ....... )
  IN NS the.other.master
  IN NS my.slave

So, on my slave, I configured this zone the master being the other master.
It works fine and the xfr transfers as well.
But on my master, when I make a query, it does not quey the delegated master
name server and only claims that the requested fqdn does not exist, whereas
on an NS query, it shows thwe good nameservers.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you very much.

...a unix sysadmin...