rndc and Bind 9.0.1

Lisa Burke lburke at once.com
Fri Dec 8 22:47:37 UTC 2000

After successfully installing bind 9.0.1 on a Solaris 6 box, I am having
trouble reloading it with rndc.  I have been a good girl and always
restarted the many, many installations of 8.2.2P5 I administer with ndc and
don't want to de-evolve to using signals instead.  I understand that it is
only supposed to support "reload" right now, but I can't even get it to that
point.  I realize this question has been addressed before, but I've checked
my config and it's identical to the solution listed and the problem
persists.  I get:

---snip---

$ rndc reload
rndc: connect: connection refused

---snip---

Here are the config files:

---snip---

$ vi /etc/rndc.conf
"/etc/rndc.conf" 12 lines, 196 characters
options {
        default-server  localhost;
        default-key     rndc;
};
server localhost        {
        key     rndc;
};

key "rndc" {
        algorithm       "hmac-md5";
        secret "xxxxxxxxxxxx";
};

---snip---

$ vi /etc/rndc.key
"/etc/rndc.key" 4 lines, 140 characters
key "rndc" {
                             algorithm "hmac-md5";
                             secret "xxxxxxxxxxxx";
                     };

---snip---

$ vi named.conf.new
"named.conf.new" 33 lines, 874 characters
include "/etc/rndc.key";

controls {
                inet 127.0.0.1 allow { any; } keys { "rndc"; };
};

options {
     directory "/usr/local/named";           // Working directory
     pid-file "named.pid";              // Put pid file in working dir
     allow-query { any; };              // This is the default
     recursion no;                      // Do not provide recursive service
};

---snip---

Named functions fine, there's nothing in /var/adm/messages.  I'm wondering
is it the port itself?  I just added port 753 to /etc/services and I
certainly can't telnet to it (from the host itself).

---snip---

$ telnet 127.0.0.1 753
Trying 127.0.0.1...

---snip----

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Lisa Burke
Unix Systems Administrator and Heat Miser
www.once.com
lburke at once.com