memory footprint

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 12 18:24:29 UTC 2000

Farid Hamjavar wrote:

> hello
>
> bind 8.2.2-p7 on aix 4.3.3 w/256 MB RAM
>
> The named process has been up for 2 days, 3  hours  and
> the  size  of  memory  it  is  using is 41MB and slowly
> growing which I think is normal.  Is  it  effective  to
> reduce  the memory foot print via reducing the 'minimum
> ttl' from currently 8 hour to 1 hour?

I'm not sure what "minimum TTL" you're talking about. For each of your
master zones, there is a "default TTL" and a "negative caching TTL", but
that only affects your *master* data, which won't directly change your
memory footprint one way or the other (although if those values are set
too low, then the additional query volume might indirectly use up more
memory for network buffers and so forth). A couple of parameters that
might save you _some_ memory resources are "max-ncache-ttl" and/or
"cleaning-interval". Tweaking those might help keep your cache clear of
old stale entries, but only at the expense of using more CPU and network
resources. I doubt it will help much.

Why don't you just let the process run for a while and see where it
stabilizes its usage?