upgraded to BIND9.0.1 from BIND 8.x zone transfers to slaves no longer work?

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Thu Dec 14 02:13:43 UTC 2000

> When I was using BIND8, the slave server had no problem getting receiving zone
> transfers from the master.
>
> Since I have updated to BIND9.0.1 this no longer happens. Instead I get this
> message:
>
> Dec 13 19:16:01 z1.spacepirates.com named[13465]: dynamic update failed: 'rrset
> does not exist' prerequisite not satisfied (YXRRSET)
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

	This message has nothing to do with zone transfers.  The message
	is stating that a dynamic update was attempted, with a
	prerequisite that a certain RR set exist first.  This
	RR did not in fact exist, so the dynamic update failed.

	If your zone transfers are not working you should check
	the *slave* DNS servers logs for messages as to why, or
	possibly the master's logs for messages of the "zone
	transfer denied" gist.

-Tim