linux bind (or resolv.conf)

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Dec 18 12:48:14 UTC 2000

    Pui> One of the foreign sites always have problem resolving our
    Pui> domain (and vice versa) when our dns servers are aix and
    Pui> tru64 unix based. But when we use linux as our dns the
    Pui> problem is solved.  So I suspect that external site might be
    Pui> using linux , and is there any compatibility issue when
    Pui> querying sites running dns on non-linux box, regardless of
    Pui> the bind version

The DNS protocol is the same no matter which version of BIND (or other
DNS implementation) is used. So there should not be any problem
attributable to the flavour of UNIX you run BIND on. Name servers
don't need to know or care about what OS another name server uses,
even if they were able to find that out which is unlikely. Now it's
possible different OS's ship with different versions of BIND, but that
shouldn't matter. The protocol doesn't change, though later versions
of BIND are more fussy about protocol violations such as syntax errors
in zone files, illegal host names and the like.

The problem you describe will probably have a simpler explanation than
a protocol inconsistency. For instance, there's more likely to be a
name server or resolver configuration error or perhaps a screwed up
delegation. However you didn't provide any information that would
allow someone to troubleshoot these possibilities. If you want that
help, please supply the name and addresses of the name servers
involved, the domain name(s) being looked up and any relevant config
files: resolv.conf, named.conf and perhaps some zone files.