Serial Number Issues

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Dec 18 18:00:30 UTC 2000

    Joseph> You give as your return address:

    Joseph> To: WndrGrl <wndrgrl.nospam at nospam.hotmail.nospam>

    Joseph> That should be enough to earn you no answer.

Indeed.

    >> Bind 9.0.1 forced me to drop a digit from my serial numbers.
    >>
    >> Previous format: YYYYMMDDXXX New format: YYYYMMDDXX

    Joseph> My guess is that BIND 9.0.1 checks, because your previous
    Joseph> format was also illegal under BIND 8.*.

    Joseph> 2^32 = 4294967296 YYYYMMDDXXX

    Joseph> You were always wrong.  There has been no change.

Yup. BIND8 was probably (silently?) allowing serial numbers that were
"too large": perhaps just folding them back into the 32-bit sequence
space.

    Joseph> What do your slaves tell you is the current serial number?

The answer those servers give can be used to reset the serial number
to something sane on the master server.

    >> So, without control or even decent communication with those in
    >> control, how do I fix this problem?

    Joseph> I would suspect - no difference.  Use the wraparound
    Joseph> technique.

Reading RFC1982 - "Serial Number Arithmetic" - might be a good idea too.