DDNS updates for in-addr.arpa.

Waltner, Steve swaltner at lsil.com
Thu Dec 21 14:29:25 UTC 2000

We use comments in the DNS file to remind those modifying the zone file what
IP ranges are supposed to be used for. (ie, NT servers, desktop system,
engineering servers, x terminals, disk arrays, lab test systems, etc...) I
don't necessarily need to maintain the current setup, but do need a viable
alternative that would integrate well with a DHCP making changes in
parallel.

Are there any suggestions for a management system that meets the following
criteria:
- DDNS based updates to zone file
- web interface preferred, command-line OK
- Automatically generates/deletes PTR records when an A record is
generated/deleted
- When doing an update on an existing record, queries and finds all RRs for
a given name (we use A and MX on every name, and several have TXT RRs as
well) to show user what currently is setup for that name

Kevin, are your CGI scripts available for me to get a jump start on the
work? Does anyone else want to offer up their own set of scripts as a
starting point?

--
Steve Waltner
LSI Logic