Fwd: Can Bind 8 Listen On My Modem IP Address?

Robert L. Cochran Jr. cochranb at clark.net
Fri Dec 22 02:23:33 UTC 2000

I have a small 4 computer network. 2 weeks ago I registered a domain
name of my own and I want Bind 8 to service not just the internal
network, but my external domain name also so that someone on the
internet can type www.mydomain.com in a browser and connect to my
machine. However I only have a 3Com modem connected to my serial port as
ppp0. It is just a plain 56K modem. I start a ppp0 connection to dial
into my ISP. My problem is I can't get Bind 8 to listen in on the IP
address issued to me by my ISP (via the modem). I can get Bind to listen
for connections on ip addresses 192.168.0.1 (the server machine) and
127.0.0.1 but no matter what I do with named.conf, resolv.conf or my
zone data files, I can't get Bind 8 to listen for a connection on my
modem. My ISP supplies me with a static IP address (which is not related
to the domain name I just registered -- I've had this IP address for
some years now.) Apache server seems to detect this IP and listen on it
just fine because I can telnet into it on port 80 and get a good
connection. So why can't Bind listen for connections on my modem IP?

When I use nslookup and set the server to my modem's IP address, I get a
message that the server is not responding.

Some other details: I am running Bind-8.2.2_P5-25 on a Red Hat Linux 7.0
machine. Apache server is running. Samba is running too and it works. I
can smbclient into the other machines from my Linux box, those machines
can get at their shares on the Linux box. I can ping all the other
computers on my network, they can ping me, and when I type
www.mydomain.com from the browser of any internal network machine it
brings up my web page just fine. From a machine on (any) external
network, if I type www.mydomain.com in a browser I will eventually get a
message saying that the server is not available.

Thanks for all your help with this.